Friday 4 February 2011

Designer Of The Day: Tsemaye Binitie


Designer Bio:
Tsemaye Binitie launched his namesake label in October 2009. It is a contemporary fashion label characterised by exquisite clothing encapsulating a love of luxury and innovative design. Meticulous cuts, indulgent fabrics and sartorial construction permeate the delivery of sharp, refined and timeless pieces. Each collection features dynamic, draped and body conscious silhouettes with a deep desire to communicate a new sense of elegance and a modern glamour. The ideal woman will be a modern icon of strength, beauty and glamour. The collections will appeal to her as she has a strong understanding of self, she will appreciate the complex hidden details behind the simplicity of the pieces.

1. What inspired you to get into fashion design?
I have always wanted to be in fashion, at least since the time I discovered Gianni Versace. I think I was actually about 9 years old, I saw one of his runways shows with the supermodels Naomi, Linda , Christy and Claudia and I thought ‘that is what I want to do!

2. Where did you go to school and what was your major?
I Studied at Kingston University. My story is a little interesting….even though I knew what I wanted at quite a young age, getting to it seemed and an epic journey. I went on to university after sixth form to study Surveying for which I hold a degree; BSc in Urban Estate Management. By the time I completed my degree I realized Kingston had a very respected fashion course and I went back and did a post grad in fashion design and the rest as they say is history.

3. Describe your philosophy about fashion?
Fashion should be many things but it means nothing if it can’t be worn. I really believe that fashion should enhance ones qualities…it should make you more beautiful or at least make you feel more beautiful, it should make you feel more confident, it should make you feel protected. Individuals must find what fits and roll with it.

4. What words of wisdom can you give to aspiring designers?
Really know your stuff. Fashion itself and fashion design have evolved to a place that no one expected. So designers now must be really clued up about the ‘market’, what is on offer and what they are trying to say within the ‘market’.

5. Where do you get your inspiration for your designs?
My inspiration changes from season to season. I am inspired by anything and everything, I look to the things and people that surround me. I am moved by my experiences, stories and places I have been. Constantly though and consistently I look to a number of women that surround me, my sister who is my muse for insight into how she interacts with her wardrobe. My mother cause she is just so cool and a friend cause she knows her fashion stuff.

6. What is a typical day for a fashion designer like yourself?
A day in my life……right now is super hectic. Wake up about 5am do a little bit of work online, complete the range plan for Fall 11. I know exactly what is in the collection but the plan helps it to be visual as I have to talk with the manufacturer later. Its now 7am, I take a shower get cute and head out to meet a leather supplier, looking into doing a bag for next season. Leave the meeting about 9.30am head to studio. I have to work on patterns this morning so that toiles can be made in the afternoon. I have another appointment at noon to deliver some suits I have just done for a friends restaurant. Once this meeting is done I have to rush to North London for 2pm to get some more complicated patterns done by Tanya…she is amazing! Leave her feeling super happy….heading back to studio to make toiles and talk with my manufacturer about planning in the samples. For Fall 11 we are having a presentation during Paris Fashion week so the stress is higher this season as we have to get all the pieces made and organized before March. The day slows down now…its 6.30pm. I have to just trace a pattern for my intern to make up tomorrow….ohh I have a bridal fitting tomorrow, I have to steam her dress. Its 9pm and my day comes to an end am heading home for some food and Tru blood comes on FX at 10pm…..YAY!!!

7. Which fashion designers have been important points of reference for you?
The one designer that made me want to get involved in fashion was Gianni Versace, I just was in total awe of his work growing up. I don’t use any designers as points of reference but there are a few that I think are amazing and I look to emulate their business model. Stella McCartney I feel taught me most of what I know now in fashion. My career and development as a designer has been hugely influenced by my time there, it was such a fun period!

8. If you had the opportunity to design an outfit for one person who would it be?
I always say this in interviews, there are too many to make me choose…Lol. High up on the list would be Naomi Campbell, Michelle Obama, Anna Dello Russo, Carine Roitfeld. The list is endless.

9. Can you tell me about your collection?
The collection is a totally contemporary embodiment of my love of luxury and innovative design.

10. Where can we find your collection?

myasho.com, Laundrette: 147 Brick Lane. London. E1 6SB. 0207 613 2553….more to come!