Thursday 6 January 2011

Designer Of The Day: Albert Ian from Per te Accessories

                      
Designer Bio:
p e r t e was founded by Ian, age 30, a budding accessories designer who is presently based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and hails from Kuching, Sarawak.
p e r t e was founded in 2009 to tap into the luxury accessories market. p e r t e which means “for you” in Italian was inspired by the need to cater to today’s sophisticated women who knows what they want, and how they want to wear it. 
p e r t e accessories range include contemporary yet avant-garde bracelet, cuff, earrings and necklace, all of which are hand made to reflect the personality and fashion trends of the times. The spirit of p e r t e lies in its design approach. The accessories range is a showcase of Swarovski crystals, semi-precious stones, fresh-water pearls, native beadworks in resplendent colours, combinations, tones, and textures suited for modern and contemporary high fashion. 
Since its debut and following encouraging response from boutiques and fashion houses, p e r t e has expanded its range of accessories to include cuff, bracelet, cuff, earring, necklace and the tasbeeh to cater to the emerging demand for unique and visually arresting handcrafted pieces.
p e r t e accessories are presently showcased at Nuur Innai Gallery at Plaza Damas, Kuala Lumpur and BAHARIM Kuala Lumpur.
For more information and to view the full collection, please visit


1. What inspired you to get into accessories design?
It is just a way of expressing my artistic side. Being a doctor, I’m always told that medicine is an art. Apart from treating people, I also wanted different ways to express my creativity. And that is through jewellery making.

2. Where did you go to school and what was your major?
Obtained my medical degree from University of Malaya Kuala Lumpur, graduated in 2004

3. Describe your philosophy about fashion?
 You have to be comfortable in your own skin, then, you'll rock your style. I personally love BOLD statements!

4. What words of wisdom can you give to aspiring designers?
I consider myself the new guy, so I guess my word of advice is WORK HARD and do your research!

5. Where do you get your inspiration for your designs?
In Kuala Lumpur, we're blessed with numerous talented Asian designers from the region. I simply love East meets West fashion! A little bit of both worlds. Alexander McQueen is my fashion IDOL!

6. What is a typical day for a accessory designer like yourself?
I work on my designs everyday and I execute them on weekends. When I’m inspired, I could spend the whole weekend doing nothing but jewellery! When I’m done, I call a few closed friends and have beers in our favourite bar - the Boathouse.

7. Which accessory designers have been important points of reference for you? 
I don't really have one.

8. If you had the opportunity to design an accessory for one person who would it be? 
That has got to be Lady Gaga. She's such a Fashion Icon and she's BOLD.

9. Where can we find your collection? 
BAHARIM boutique, Kuala Lumpur anf Innai Gallery, Kuala Lumpur