Wednesday 8 December 2010

Designer Of The Day: May Heggy


Designer Bio:
I am May Heggy, 24, An Egyptian Jewelry Designer, I have a passion for
designing, nature and different cultures. 

I studied in the American University in Cairo and took jewelry courses in London's Central Saint Martins.
 I started my jewelry line two years ago and my jewelry was featured in several television programs (including the German National Channel ZDF) as well as magazine and newspaper interviews (including The Herald Tribune).
As a child I loved crafts and I used to do my own accessories when I was a
teenager and always dreamt of having my own line and having an influence over the fashion industry.
I grew in a house that appreciates art and my father is an art collector. I am very proud that my jewelry is displayed in one of Cairo's most prestigious shops, "Mounaya Gallery", that Christian Louboutin mentioned in Harper's Bazaar as one of his favorites.

1. What inspired you to get into accessories design?
I've always had a passion for designing and art and I love accessories.Accessories are very important in any wardrobe. Since I was a child I liked to do my own accessories. You can transform any plain dress with a statement necklace. I am very interested in different cultures , ethnic arts and nature. I find it very inspiring the way Vera Wang modernized Japanese art. So jewelry designing was for me the thing that combines all my interests together.

2. Where did you go to school and what was your major?
I went to the American University in Cairo, My major was integrated marketing and my minor was psychology. Then I took jewelry design courses London's Central Saint Martins.

3. Describe your philosophy about fashion?
I believe that fashion is an individual experience that reflects a person's approaches, ideas and interests. It is a non-verbal way of communicating with others. Everyone should develop their own unique style that enhances natural beauty. Personally I love ethnic jewelry, attention to details. I love whatever is different and unique.

4. What words of wisdom can you give to aspiring designers?
Do what you like to do not what you expect other to like. Be different and dare to do new designs. Designers create fashion, they don't follow it.

5. Where do you get your inspiration for your designs?
Because of my interest in ethnic jewelry, my designs have an oriental spirit and my main inspirations are  nature, cultures and Islamic art. Whether it is a Persian rug or and Indian piece of jewelry, the attention to details in Islamic art has an enormous influence over my designs. Since I am Egyptian I like that my designs would reflect my culture and origins while maintaining a sleek and contemporary  approach. I go to museum for inspirations. Victoria and Albert is one of favorites for its wide range of varieties. Tribal tools, daily utensils, jewelry, rugs and ethnic clothing in eras such as Mughal and Mamluki are very inspiring as well as places like Uzbekistan, Turkey,  India and definitely egypt(since we have a beautiful variety of influences on art from mamluki, fatimid and ottoman eras in Egypt).

6. What is a typical day for an accessories designer like yourself?
I spend a lot of time working on my designs. The majority of my jewelry is hand made by myself and I get things done in a workshop as well. So I spend the majority of my time working on the Jewelry and making new pieces. I also read a lot of fashion magazines and I love socializing. 

7. Which accessories designers have been important points of reference for you?
  • John Galliano
  • Isharya
  • Lara Bohinc
  • Carolina Bucci

8. If you had the opportunity to design an accessory for one person who would it be?
Kate Middleton

9. Can you tell me about your collection?
My new collection has some Bedouin inspiration. Also I made a lot of bracelets with the "Hamsa" charm and included alot of knitting and mixed media. I wanted to mix precious and non-precious materials as well.

10. Where can we find your collection?
Please Check my facebook group to be updated.
and add my jewelry account on Facebook
For the moment I mainly sell my jewelry in Egypt thought shops and individual orders but hope to display my jewelry in London soon.