Thursday 9 December 2010

Designer Of The Day: Alice Ritter

Designer Bio:
It was as a young girl playing dress up in heirloom corsets and dresses from the 19th century that were found in her grandparents' attic and her fascination with all the French designers that were featured in Vogue from Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent to Balmain, that initially captivated her to the craft – even before she knew how to craft!  At the tender age of nine, she was already trying to sketch the Saharienne dress from YSL and discovered that it was not “un exercice facile”! Fortunately, none of this daunted her passion for fashion and after moving to NY, she plunked down and bought a sewing machine, ripped apart some vintage pieces just to see how pants were made or how a sleeve looked lying flat on tracing paper. It was through this process that she taught herself the art of pattern making. With patience and determination, soon some of her pieces landed in a local Brooklyn boutique called Isa and sold out within a week!  This got her design juices flowing and and she is now living out her dream as a fashion designer.
In many ways, Alice Ritter's life practically changed overnight when she moved to New York from her home in Paris over nine years ago. A former music publicist in France, she followed her American boyfriend to New York, got married and legally changed her last name to that of her husband's. Being in New York gave her a sense of freedom to follow her childhood dream and afforded her a new raison d'ĂȘtre.
Ritter's signature style in her own words would be "French Girl in New York" or "French Romantic meets Annie Hall." She's attracted to femininity with a certain masculine edge and finds nothing sexier than a "woman who assumes being a little masculine as well." She incorporates this sensibility in all the tailored pieces, jackets, and crisp white shirts that are staples in her collection that combine the romantic soft lines with a bit of the tough Parisian girl finesse.  Ritter understands that designing starts with what her personal needs as a woman dictates. All her pieces reveal a little bit of herself in them. She's always trying to design what she terms as "the perfect uniform"- or the ideal outfit that will take her from day into night seamlessly and one that she would feel comfortable wearing endlessly. "I honestly ask myself if I would be wearing what I design – and I do! It's the best way to find out what works or not."

Alice Ritter was featured on CW TV's Fashion Forward: Making It! as an up-coming fashion star who is working at The Incubator, a special program created by the Council of Fashion Designers of America to foster emerging young designers.
Check out a preview of the show below.



1. What inspired you to get into fashion design?
I've always had an interest in fashion, dressing up as a kid, obsessing over french vogue, wallpapering my bedroom with chanel catalogs and pix of Ines de la Fressange!!! I've always been interested in art in general, I played and still do play piano, I've done ballet when I was younger, I wanted to be a writer at 1 point.... so many interests. But it took me a while to realize that designing was the way to unite all those, that and moving to NYC 12 years ago with my husband who as an artist is a big influence as well!!

2. Where did you go to school and what was your major?
I studied Economics in college!!!!!!! I have a master from a university in Paris. Don't ask, I was trying to please my parents.... interesting study not my calling obviously!!I learn clothes by reaping vintage apart!

3. Describe your philosophy about fashion?
Fashion has to reflect who you are , so do not give into too much trends, find what's fit you. I like subtle elegance, not overly put together. I also really want what I wear to have a certain level of comfort and softness, qualities that reflect a modern women...I'm not a huge fan of the 5 inches ( 12 cm and more) heels... not very practical when you work, walk, commute, run after your kids or want to dance all night!!!!

4. What words of wisdom can you give to aspiring designers?
Stick to your vision, it's the hardest thing to do, but it's the only thing to do.

5. Where do you get your inspiration for your designs?
everywhere! music, films ( big source!!), new york subway, girls on the streets in paris..... BLOGS!!!! I love blogs!

6. What is a typical day for a fashion designer like yourself?
waking up early, walking my dog with the best latte and brioche in hand from the bakery downstairs, office, depending of the day I can spend hours alone drawing!!! most often at night I try to get back to my husband. Family life is very important for me! We all need balance and it cannot be about work 100% of the time, even though it feels like it sometimes!

7. Which fashion designers have been important points of reference for you? 
many! YSL, Albert Elbaz, Isabel Marant. In the states I really like Marc Jacob, still so good!!, I admire Rag and bone and often wants to wear their design, newly cfda winner Billy Reid and my friend and inspiration Sophie Theallet!

8. If you had the opportunity to design an outfit for one person who would it be? 
Sophia Coppola, charlotte gainsbourg....style icons for me!!!

9. Can you tell me about your collection?
My collection is my story. A french girl who followed a dream and a boy in NYC. It has the french basics classic pieces infused with the NYC free spirit. I  live in brooklyn, williamsburg a very stylish part of NY. Big influence obviously!

10. Where can we find your collection?
Barneys.com, bloomingdales.com, lesnouvelles.com.... more to come I hope!!

Alice Ritter SS11

Alice Ritter SS11

Alice Ritter SS11

Alice Ritter SS11

Alice Ritter SS11

Alice Ritter SS11

Alice Ritter SS11

Alice Ritter SS11

Alice Ritter SS11

Alice Ritter SS11