Designer Ann Yee showed her Fall/Winter 2011 collection in NYC’s Sky Room rooftop lounge during New York Fashion Week. Her pieces included beautifully draped dresses, pencil skirts, vests, jackets, delicate blouses and trousers. Colours were mostly purple, blue and grey. Overall the presentation was young, sophisticated and romantic.
I caught up with the designer for a brief Q&A on her fabulous new collection.
1. What was the theme for your collection?
It was inspired by a John Keats’ poem called When I Have Fears. The whole mood was abstract romanticism so it’s very dark and somber.
2. What kind of woman do you see wearing your clothes?Someone who is strong and confident and knows fashion but isn’t necessarily a follower of trends and is not a afraid to stand out from the crowd and she really does her own thing.
3. How did you get started in fashion?
I went to college for fashion but my love started when I was in middle school and parents gave me their vintage clothing from the 70's and that’s what got me thinking of doing it as a career.
4. What advice can you give to aspiring designer on getting started?Get ready to work really hard, sleepless nights, perseverance and having a good attitude
5. What celebrities do see wearing your clothes?Chloë Sevigny and Rosario Dawson.
6. Where can we find your pieces? They're currently sold in NYC boutiques like Eva and krisTEE’s boutique.
|Me and designer Ann Yee|