Tuesday 7 December 2010

Designer Of The Day: Tiffany S. Walker


Designer Bio:
Tiffany has distinguished herself as both a visionary and creative force in the fashion industry. Her passion for art and fashion has converged into a fashion empire that she is building brick by brick- day by day. She dreamed of the day at the at age  fourteen that she would own her on clothing line- the fruition of that dream is now evident every day. Tiffany Walker, a Shreveport, Louisiana native is the next biggest thing in fashion- as evident through her thought provoking and alluring designs. She has her finger on the pulse of the fashion industry and she is always willing to push the envelope. She doesn’t follow trends she sets them and because of this she is considered a trailblazer. 
There are many accomplishments that can be credited to Tiffany but the one that gives her the most pride is being named one of the most “Outstanding Singles” in Shreveport, Louisiana by SB Magazine. SB Magazine highlighted her dedication to the community and the impact that she is making in the lives of others. Tiffany has an army of support in her community and they are proud to say that her company, T’Shemise is home grown. Tiffany is also an educator, she teaches the fashion styling and makeup artistry programs for Caddo Parish Schools at the Caddo Career and Technology Center. She is dedicated to providing relevant, rigorous, instruction and fostering lasting relationships to assist her students with their career paths. 
Although Tiffany has made a significant and profound impact in her chosen career with her label, T’Shemise; her most important impact is in the community in which she lives. Tiffany realized that not only was she a designer, she is also an activist for many high risk youth. Giving of her time and efforts to be a listening ear and a person that has compassion and understanding for the difficult lives they lead. These youth have shared many personal and life changing moments with Tiffany and refers to her as a friend and simply a person that will listen- when no one else will. 
If you ask her why she gives so much of herself to them; she simply says, “God said, one by one, and it can change an entire generation.” One by one is exactly what she is doing she is giving unconditional love to children that have been deprived of the excitement and joy of true love- that looks beyond economic impoverishment and social status. Her words to them is that you cannot let you past determine your future- the future can be changed and your past is a handbook as to what you need to do for the future to be bright. In other words, no excuses; just make the best of any situation and make sure that your future includes higher education and good decision making. 
Tiffany shows them that there is another way, by the success of her clothing line and the great relationships that she has built. Tiffany is a trailblazer and needless to say, a very fashionable woman that is walking in her calling. Her clothing is hip and whimsical. It is youthful and embraces the freedom of expression. T’Shemise duns the hottest trends in vibrant colors and beautiful prints, with a fun and spirited approach. T’Shemise is swank, opulent, and a bit daring yet it embodies all of the qualities to be among the top in the fashion industry. T’Shemise is statement making clothing that screams being the center of attention- an ability that she possesses that makes many rally to her in support.  


1. What inspired you to get into fashion design?
I have always had a love for fashion and art. My mother and father modeled but my father modeled professionally. My father was also a GREAT artist. I grew up in a home full of life and happiness. I was raised to be proud of who I am and to flourish in my talents. My parents allowed me to be just as colorful as I wanted to be. They relished in the thought of me being a creative, innovative, child!
With that said, I decided that I would fuse my two undying passions, art and fashion and become a fashion designer at the age of 13.  I also named my company, The T’Shemise Fashion Group, Inc., my namesake Tiffany Shemise.

2. Where did you go to school and what was your major?
I graduated from Louisiana Tech University and majored in Fashion Merchandising and Marketing with a minor in Art. It was important for me to learn the business of fashion. While enrolled I worked as a creative director for two fashion organizations. I produced fashion shows and created one of a kind pieces for the quarterly fashion shows at both Louisiana Tech University and Grambling State University.

3. Describe your philosophy about fashion? 
“Make everyday a fashionable day”
My belief is that since we have to wear clothing (it’s the LAW) we minus well make them interesting and thought provoking. Fashion is a medium to express yourself loudly, boldly and without inhabitance. It allows us to be walking works of art and I believe that I am nothing short of a Picasso.

4. What words of wisdom can you give to aspiring designers?
Do not allow anyone to tell you what you CANNOT do- the only things that you should not allow yourself to do, is to NOT try. Know your abilities, skills, and talents but be willing to be a life learner and seize every opportunity.  Capture your own style and do not think that you have to clone another designer to be great. Be great through your own individuality and style mantra- the greatest are often the ones that are the most ridiculed!

5. Where do you get your inspiration for your designs?
I am inspired by society, culture and people- I love to people watch. Most of all color and the energy it brings inspires me the most. From objects, shapes, words and the environment – I am compelled to create from the things that are around me each and everyday. I am familiar with these things and I bring them to life, in a new unexpected way.

6. What is a typical day for a fashion designer like yourself? I not only create fashion, I teach the art of fashion also!  I am in OVERDRIVE everyday (which ironically, is the title of my next collection). I play so many roles and each and everyone of them is important to me. I am always sketching, I am always researching to bring my clients new and innovative designs.
I go to my studio unscripted and I allow my mood and my inspiration for that day to move me. My studio is my BIG playhouse and it is filled with ALL of the things that I love the most. I love what I do and every single day is a fashionable day at the house of T’Shemise.

7. Which fashion designers have been important points of reference for you?
•         Anna Sui
•         Betsey Johnson
•         Patricia Fields
•         Bob Mackie
•         Marc Jacobs
•         Roberto Cavalli

8. If you had the opportunity to design an outfit for one person who would it be? 
Rihanna! She has impeccable style and a presence that resonates! She is not afraid to push the envelope and my line is created on that founding principle!!! My one goal is to always push the envelope a little further than the rest—it makes it more interesting!

9. Can you tell me about your collection?
 
My collection is a tribute to self expression and freedom. It has a youthful spirit that is filled with life, animation, and it celebrates being a woman—girly, flirty, yet rebellious and thought provoking. It is colorful, vibrant, whimsical and most of all it defines who I am as a person. T’Shemise IS everything fashionable and chic, a total GLAMstar!


10. Where can we find your collection?
•         Too Groovee, Shreveport, LA
•         FLAVA, Shreveport, LA
•         Pink Lucy, Shreveport, LA
•         T’Shemise Studio and Showroom
•         Celebrity Showroom,  Los Angeles, CA
•         http://www.t-shemise.com/ (re-launches January 2011)
•         Contact the T’Shemise Studio and Showroom 318.455.2536