Monday 8 November 2010

Designer Of The Day: Tina Tandon

Designer Bio:
Tina Tandon is a graduate of Fashion Institute of Technology in NY. She launched her Contemporary label in 2008 after having worked in the NY Fashion industry for 10 years for revered fashion houses including Escada and Christian Lacroix.

1. What inspired you to get into fashion design?
I was always very crafty and creative since I was young. My mom was really fashionable and had the most lovely clothes so naturally I gravitated towards fashion and started exploring my creativity through clothing.

2. Where did you go to school and what was your major?
I attended Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC, where I got a degree in Production Management (more technical side of design) and Advertising and Marketing Communications, besides taking Design courses. This all helped me gain a multifaceted knowledge of the Fashion business, which came handy when I launched my own line.

3. Describe your philosophy about fashion?
I believe in understated elegance, and sophistication, with bit of fun and fancy thrown in.  Also, I believe in practicality and focus on designing very wearable and relatable pieces, rather than over-the-top, avant garde designs.

4. What words of wisdom can you give to aspiring designers?
Have a clear vision of who you are and what your design aesthetic would be, and stick to that. Also, try to gain lots of experience working in the industry, before branching out on your own.

5. Where do you get your inspiration for your designs?
Inspiration can come from really anywhere. Sometimes a button can inspire a whole dress, and then a collection can be designed around that! Sometimes, it’s the fabrics I am craving at the moment. I am very observant of things around me, and it could be anything I see, that can later combine with other ideas in my head and lead to an idea for a design. I am, however, very influenced by vintage, nature, and world culture.

6. What is a typical day for a fashion designer like yourself?
 It varies during different months and stages of the process. Typically, checking emails, catching up with boutiques/ buyers, fulfilling and shipping orders, replying to press inquiries, and celeb dressing requests, etc.

7. Which fashion designers have been important points of reference for you?
Well, I of course love Coco Chanel, and her classics that have made the brand such a well sustained and top brands of the world for decades. Marc Jacobs for always re-inventing himself every season.

8. If you had the opportunity to design an outfit for one person who would it be?
Currently, Michelle Obama, she is such a classy lady and I really admire her support of young designers.

9. Can you tell me about your new collection?
The current Fall collection is a play between the opposites – the masculine and the feminine - soft vs. hard, fluid vs. the still, and the bold vs the subtle... Rock inspired hard edge details - metal chains, zippers, studs and discs adorn the feminine shapes molded from fluid & sturdy fabrics including Wool crepes, Silk charmeuse and flowy Georgettes to create day to evening sophisticated looks.  And than, of course we have some fun thrown in with great party tops and dresses.

10. Where can we find your collection?
The collection is available in various designer boutiques throughout the country, including Searle on Madison ave in NYC, Pamela Robbins, Kitson, Harari in California, and so on... Full list is on www.ttandon.com. And we are also selling internationally in UK, Saudi Arabia, India, Japan and Canada. 
 

T. Tandon Fall/Holiday 2010

T. Tandon Fall/Holiday 2010

T. Tandon Fall/Holiday 2010

T. Tandon Fall/Holiday 2010